Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Words On A Page

There is nothing more exhilarating or more terrifying than looking at a blank page. Whether on a computer screen or a piece of paper, a blank page is full of possibilities. Sometimes these endless possibilities are overwhelming and filling it with words and sentences seems like a hopeless task as you struggle with each and every word. They fight and evade you with each word coming out of your head as stubbornly as an old goat.

Other times the words come easily, and you find yourself filling page after page with beautiful prose that comes so easily that you wonder if you're being given a handjob by inspiration herself. So loving she is with her touch that the..ahem words explode onto the page with unbridled ferocity.

This is what I love about writing, that excitement of not knowing what the page will say when you are finished your composition, what new adventures will dance across your page for the bewilderment of your audience. Sure I write for me. There is that moment though when someone is reading one of your works for the first time. You sit and wait, and all the while wondering what the reading is thinking and feeling. Will they laugh at the funny parts? Will they cry at the sad ones? Will they throw their arms up in disgust and toss it aside like a piece of garbage.

These reasons and more are why I love writing, I love the thrill, I love the satisfaction, and I even love the frustration. Sometimes it is a struggle to find the right words, but oh boy when you do! So I think I will keep writing, sit back, and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment