Friday, January 11, 2013

Me. My Own, Worst Enemy

I have plenty of time to write on a daily basis, but I often make up excuses not to. I'm not sure why, I love to write, and I'd like to do so everyday. For some reason though a little voice in the back of my head keeps making up excuses for me not to do the very thing I know I want to do.

It's never a good reason either. I'll tell myself I'm too tired, or that I'll do some writing after dinner. Sometimes I manage to do this (this blog is proof of that.) but I really want to do MORE. I feel that I'm capable of doing so much more than the word scrawled on this crappy blog.

I have the desire, I have the capability. So what is stopping me from achieving my potential. Why don't I lock myself in my room, and not let myself out till I've written something of full of awesomeness? What is keeping me from writing stories, and blogs that make people actually want to read this thing?

In short. I am. There is some little voice in the back of my head that keeps telling me, that I am crap, and that anything I write is complete drivel, unsuitable for public consumption. Maybe I'm right, maybe not. More than a few people have expressed enjoyment in my work (maybe I'll post some here in the future) and I've even had someone express enjoyment of this blog to me in person. So It must be of some use at least.

It's been my experience that most writers express dissatisfaction with their own work, so I know this phenomenon is not unique to me, and the rare moments that I look at something I wrote and say to myself "I like this" are almost magickal [word spelling chosen for maximum pretension]! It doesn't happen often but its nice to know that I can produce something that makes an entire writing workshop tell me I need to write a novel (a work in progress).

I've gotten off track here a bit, and I'm not really sure where this post is going. Essentially I need to kick my ass, get my shit in gear and put some fucking words on a page. That's right I swore! Take THAT v-chip! (are those still a thing?)


No comments:

Post a Comment